History

The area is steeped in history on 20 September 1746 Bonnie Prince Charlie left Scotland for France from Borrodale Beach just below the house following the failure of the Jacobite rising of 1745.

In 1863 F D P Astley an enlightened and wealthy Industrialists from the Midlands commissioned Philip Webb the “Father of the Arts and Crafts movement” to build a Shooting Lodge amid this spectacular West Highland scenery and to include terraced gardens. During the Second World War the area was taken over by the Special Operations Executive to train agents for missions in Occupied Europe; Arisaig House was the Headquarters. (Plans of how the house was used are still in Arisaig House.)