Up first in the “Meet our Suppliers” series are Christoph and Christine Ewers from Ardshealach Fine Foods, based in Glenuig. We have been ordering from their wee smokehouse since they opened in 2013 and can’t recommend their produce highly enough! (Our current favourite is their smoked goats cheese, which is a new addition to our weekly order – we serve it with a mixed beetroot salad and pine nut dressing)
Last week I spoke to Christoph about their business, living and working in Lochaber and the best way to enjoy smoked salmon:
- Tell us a bit about your business and the story behind it?
After we moved with the whole family from Germany to Scotland I started our food business in 2009 with the intention to sell Scottish fine foods from Scotland to Germany and France. The supplier for smoked salmon was at that time Simon Macdonald of Macdonald Smoked Produce. In 2013 Ardshealach Fine Foods took over the business from Simon and we called it Ardshealach Smokehouse & Fine Foods. Our aim was and is to create small batches of handcrafted smoked produce.
- What products do you supply to Arisaig House?
We supply the following proucts to Arisaig House
- Award winning Smoked Salmon, smoked using only fish from Loch Duart
- Roast Smoked Salmon
- Our very own Lochaber Smoked Cheese, a smoked soft cheese rolled in Oatmeal
- Award winning Smoked Duck Breast using only Gressingham duck for smoking
- Smoked goats cheese
- What sets your business apart from your competitors?
We smoke the traditional Scottish way using only the finest natural ingredients. Our products are smoked in traditional kilns and all the preparation is done by hand. We have a passion for exceptional food and we believe that smoking is an art which requires this passion to produce to the highest standard.
- What is your favourite way to enjoy smoked salmon?
I personally prefer our smoked salmon simply with a bit of lemon juice, some pepper and a slice of dark bread. This way you can enjoy the full taste of the smoked salmon.
- What is your favourite thing about living and working in Lochaber?
Living and working in Lochaber for me means the choice of a different lifestyle. Away from the rush of the big cities in a mostly unspoiled nature, close to the sea. It is very hard to find that somewhere else. It is challenging but at the same time very rewarding.
To find out more or to order some of their delicious products visit their website: www.smokedproduce.co.uk